Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Quote of the Day: SOTU

From Peggy Noonan in Opinion Journal.com:
It was the first State of the Union Mr. Bush has given in which Congress seemed utterly pre-9/11 in terms of battle lines drawn. Exactly half the chamber repeatedly leapt to its feet to applaud this banality or that. The other half remained resolutely glued to its widely cushioned seats. It seemed a metaphor for the Democratic Party: We don't know where to stand or what to stand for, and in fact we're not good at standing for anything anyway, but at least we know we can't stand Republicans.

4 Comments:

  • At 2/02/2006 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    bush wants to grant amnesty to illegal aliens, and apparently so does Jason Atkinson. he said so himself on Lars Larson. that's right: amnesty for illegal aliens who come to Oregon to steal jobs from citizens! time for you to rethink your allegiences and consider Ron Saxton, the only candidate who is willing to stand up to illegal aliens!

     
  • At 2/02/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger B.B. said…

    Wow.... proof that even a Republican can be a Blog troll....

     
  • At 2/02/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Ken said…

    Dear Anon,

    You, and the other people who hold the immigration issue so dear, need to chill out.

    Bush wants to grant illegal amnesty? Why did he say "we must have a rational, humane guest worker program that rejects amnesty"?

    Illegal aliens want to steal jobs from citizens? If you want to get mad at the employers for hiring illegals, or at the government for its loose rules, go ahead -- but don't make up charges against a group of people who are just looking for work. I understand they're here illegally, I understand that the effects of illegals is far-reaching, but try to get a reality check and a little bit of compassion.

    I did not hear Lars' show, as I rarely listen, but everything I've read tells me that this is being blown out of proportion. Let's wait to see what comes of it.

    Also, post on a related topic, or send me an email and I'll deal with it. My guess is you're from the Saxton campaign, so your splutter holds little water with me.

    Take a deep breath and go back to raising cash from the Portland elite crowd, OK?

     
  • At 2/02/2006 7:33 PM, Blogger I am Coyote said…

    Ken,
    Bravo man! I am sure he is thinking... uh... did I just get spanked?

    Anyway... back to the Noonan post which IS why I logged on.

    I read her column today. It was fantastic. When I grow up I want to write like her.

    yip yip

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google