Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Friday, December 12, 2008

If I were a Democrat

in the United States Congress, why would I negotiate anything with Republicans regarding the Auto Workers' Manufacturers' bailout (or anything else, for that matter)?

Thanks to last month's elections, the Dems expanded their House majority by 21 seats, and will hold a 257-178 advantage when new members are sworn in next month. In the Senate, the GOP is holding on by the skin of its teeth; assuming Norm Coleman squeaks by Al Franken in Minnesota, Democrats will hold a 58-42 advantage. That means the Dems just have to pick off two votes (take your pick: Arlen Specter or George Voinovich or Olympia Snow or Susan Collins or Lisa Murkowski or . . . ) to end a filibuster. If I were Harry Reid and I didn't get my way, I'd go home, too.

It's gonna be a long two years for conservatives, and there's not much we can do about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google