Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Friday, June 27, 2008

A baseball diversion

Because my Giants have been worse than mediocre, I've only been glancing at the MLB standings this year, but a couple of things jumped out at me this morning:

The National League West -- where San Francisco is currently mired in third place, 11 games below .500 -- is pathetic. The Arizona Diamondbacks are in first place, even though they're just one game over .500!

It's no wonder the Giants are struggling -- they're a pathetic 14-24 on their home field, which is the worst home winning percentage in baseball -- worse than last-place teams Seattle and Washington. If the Giants were just playing .500 ball at home, they'd be a game behind the Diamondbacks.

The other thing that leaped out at me is the interleague records: nine American League teams have winning records against the National League, whereas only four NL teams can make that claim (two others were 6-6, including the best-record-in-baseball Chicago Cubs). If that's indicative of the post-season, it looks like the AL will continue its domination of the World Series. It's won seven of the last 10, and has an overall series record of 61-42.

It's gonna be a long summer...

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 6/27/2008 2:04 PM, Blogger I am Coyote said…

    The Giants? The GIANTS??

    Oh well... I always thought more highly of you than that.

    Because..well because everyone knows that the Dodgers are the quintiscential National League team of all time.

    Ok a few down years here and there as ownership changes were made but we are on the way back.

    But the Giants?

    Heavy sigh...

    yip yip

     
  • At 6/28/2008 8:07 AM, Blogger Ken said…

    As a Duck, I want the Ducks to trounce the Beavers at every opportunity, and I want the Beavs to lose if it will help the Ducks. But otherwise, I usually don't care, and sometimes will root for them if there's no impact on the Ducks. I feel somewhat the same about the Dodgers -- I want the Giants to trounce them at every opportunity, but otherwise I usually don't care.

    They've been a good team, and certainly done better than the Giants over the years. Torre was a great pickup. They've picked up a couple of good Giants through the years (Kent and Schmidt come to mind).

    But why am I a Giants fan? Because when I was a child growing up in the Bay Area, I would sit in my grandmother's living room with her and listen to the Giants on the radio, until they inevitably did something dumb, which would cause my grandmother to stand up from her rocking chair in disgust and go find something to do in the kitchen. I wanted them to do well just so my grandma (God rest her soul) wouldn't be disgusted all the time. That wish usually didn't come true, but it rubbed off on me.

    So thank you, Coyote, for insulting my team AND my grandma! (Sniff)

    ;-)

     
  • At 6/30/2008 9:37 AM, Blogger I am Coyote said…

    Ken,
    I'm sorry for the insult. Golly I was just having a little fun at the expense of a Giants fan.

    I grew up bleeding Dodger blue and checking the box scores every day of the folks like Davey Lopes, Steve Garvey and Ron Cey.

    Not to mention pitchers like Fernando Valenzuela.

    And... And I learned that one of the biggest rivalries in all of baseball is that between the Dodgers and the Giants (not unlike that between the LA Rams and the Minnessota Vikings.).

    So I was merely trying to have a little baseball fun.

    I sincerely hope that it was not taken as much more than that.

    yip yip

    ps. GO DODGERS!

     
  • At 6/30/2008 4:02 PM, Blogger Ken said…

    Coyote -- I was hoping my "sniff" and smile at the end were hints that I was just throwing crap back at you. No offense taken.

    Watch out for them Giants, though -- they might hit .500 by September, and with the way the rest of the division is playing, that just might put 'em in first place!

    ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google