Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

What he said

I agree with Jonah Goldberg:
...I disagree with the overwhelming impression that supporting McCain is some kind of lunacy. I have serious disagreements with McCain. I think it is entirely right to disagree with him on all sorts of issues and entirely legitimate to think he would be bad for the party, bad for conservatism or bad for the country to have him as the nominee or the next president...

But this disaster talk leaves me cold. McCain wouldn't be my first pick. Then again, none of the candidates were really my first pick. But I think the notion that, variously, conservatism, the country or the party are doomed if he's the nominee or the president is pretty absurd.

I'm not excited by a McCain candidacy -- in fact, I'm unhappy about it in some ways -- but unless something shocking happens, he'll be the Republican nominee. Yes, I know he loves to poke conservatives in the eye when we're not looking, but he'll still be better than Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. By a long shot. Not even close. This is not a case of choosing between, say, Clinton and Joe Lieberman, where the only difference is their war policy. There are dozens of reasons for conservatives to support McCain over the Democratic nominee.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 2/01/2008 2:00 PM, Blogger MAX Redline said…

    I disagree. McCain has so many negatives that he is unsuportable, and he will never receive my vote.

    No Republican has ever won the office without the support of the Conservative base, and this conservative absolutely, positively, will not support him.

     
  • At 2/01/2008 3:30 PM, Blogger I am Coyote said…

    I am pretty much with Max on this one. While I won't say "never" at this point. I will say that if the general election were held this week and it were McCain and Hillary... then... Well I would not vote for either.

    McCain has said (though he is arguing that he didn't the evidence and historical record seem to counter his claims) that justice Alito is too conservative.

    That is a huge deal killer with me.

    It's already clear that I don't agree with McCain voting against the Bush tax cuts.

    It's already clear that I don't agree with McCain that we should tie our hands behind our backs with regard to aggressive interrogation techniques.

    It's already clear that I don't (really really) agree with McCain and his approach (or non-approach) to ANWR and global warming.

    It's already clear that I don't agree with him on the first amendment...or the second.

    It's already clear that he is diametrically opposed to my position on ilegal immigration.

    But the one area I might hold my nose and vote for a bad Republican is if I think he will appoint solid judges.

    Take that point away and add in there his propensity to "stick it" to conservatives whenever he can (on all the above issues) then I have ot believe that he probably would, on purpose, appoint a liberal judge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google