Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Everett Curry runs a lame ad

About two weeks ago, I criticized Democrat David Edwards for running an ad that tries as many times as possible in 30 seconds to tie his opponent to President Bush.

Unfortunately, his opponent -- Everett Curry -- has done his best to droop down to Edwards' level with an ad I just saw.

In the TV commercial, Curry's campaign quotes the Oregonian editorial in which the newspaper revokes its endorsement of Edwards because of "dirty tricks." I don't fault Curry for using the endorsement revocation to his benefit, but in the course of doing so, the commercial says Edwards offers only "intolerance, divisiveness and dirty tricks."

I would argue that anyone who calls their opponent intolerant, divisive or a player of dirty tricks is not displaying tolerance, inclusiveness or fair play. It's sad how this campaign has gone; I can only hope that the winner will show more class when he gets to Salem.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/06/2006 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe the intolerence charge refers to Edwards attacking Curry's religion, which the Oregonian covered and led, in part, to their reversal of the endorsement. I live in the district and have been following the give and take. If you don't live there, it might be harder to follow what has gone on.

     
  • At 11/06/2006 11:16 AM, Blogger Ken said…

    I know what's been going on, and what the ad referred to. If you look through my archive, I've written about it a couple of times.

    I think Edwards blew it, particularly in keeping his campaign manager on the team, but Curry's ad was a slimy way to respond to the situation. He could have quoted from the Oregonian revocation without calling Edwards intolerant, divisive or a dirty player.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google