Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Quote of the Day

From Dean Barnett at Hugh Hewitt's site. Barnett, who is my age, talks about his reasons why he's not thrilled about the possibility that George Allen might be the GOP nominee for president in 2008:
...the only Republicans I’ve consciously seen engage in presidential debates are Ford, Reagan, the Bushes, and Bob Dole. While I deeply admire Reagan and the younger Bush, it’s undeniable that I’ve had to hold my breath during every presidential debate I’ve ever watched...

I look forward to 2008 and having a standard-bearer who won’t give me a constant sense of dread that we’re only one awkward phrase from calamity. Somehow Allen has yet to strike me as the right guy to end the streak.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/28/2006 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    don't let the "news" fool you. I have been following Allen for some time. he is good. the left fears him. they are deathly afraid of an Allen-Rice ticket in 2008. that's the reason they are trying so hard to besmirch him now. I mean come on, they are saying he put dead animal heads in the mailboxes of black people while substituting the N word for "um" and "like." does that sound like a highly educated successful attorney who has been elected Rep, Gov, and Senator, adjacent to Washington DC, the most politically correct place on Earth? Of course not! And the whole Macaca thing... the guy was nicknamed Macaca by other people, for crying out loud! no, don't worry about Allen. worry about what demonrats are doing trying to take him down now, instead of in 2008. wise man say: to see who the GOP should run tomorrow, look who the left attacks today!

     
  • At 9/29/2006 6:52 PM, Blogger I am Coyote said…

    Gully,
    Your loyalty is admirable. And... Like you I think that Allen is a good man.

    However I think the point that Barnett is making is that Allen just does not have the stuff on the stump.

    That has been my rub for a long time as well. He just does not, when you have him on his feet, have the gravitas that you'd think by looking at his picture.

    His performance underperforms the expectations you have when you first see him. Fair? No it's not.

    I'll not make fun of him or anything in the primary. But I don't think that that will be enough. I think when people start seeing Rudy (to name but one) and Allen side by side in the same venue people will more comfortably say "ah... rudy is the guy."

    Call it "the guy" factor. That is always worth a few points in a Republican primary.

     
  • At 9/29/2006 9:43 PM, Blogger Ken said…

    I tend to agree with Coyote. I would add that Allen is too much of a good ol' boy, and that's going to remind the electorate too much of the White House's current occupant (which is a detriment).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google