Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Thoughts from the Saturday Oregonian

I bought a paper this morning to read while my kids were in swimming lessons, and a few things caught my eye:

Memo to Gov. Ted Kulongoski: If you have to proclaim -- nay, yell -- before a friendly crowd a the Portland City Club that you're a "great Democrat," you're probably not one.

Unfriendly? Outmoded? Give me a break: Paul Allen is bummed because his Seahawks, which just played in the Super Bowl, play in pretty new stadium, while the Trail Blazers play in an "outmoded arena controlled by a bunch of unfriendly former lenders." And oh, by the way, he wants the city to become a partner (read: give money) to Allen's poor business management. Well, guess what, Mr. Allen? That "outmoded arena" will hit its 11th birthday this fall, so spare me the exaggeration about age. And those former lenders are "unfriendly" because, despite the fact that you're one of the top 10 richest men in the world, you stiffed them the money they were owed by declaring bankruptcy. Oh, and that "public-private partnership" you're after? I really hope you keep asking for it, and I really hope you threaten to move without it, because I'll be happy to help you pack. Maybe with the Blazers out of the picture, we can get baseball or football to come, but regardless -- no money from us, Mr. Allen.

Speaking of stiffing someone: A groom leaves his bride at the altar, leaving the bride's father with the wedding bill of almost $65,000. I sympathize with the bride, as she gave birth to the couple's child last month, but you can bet that the groom will be paying child-support whether he decides to marry the woman or not. The story says "the bridal couple did not cut corners," and quotes the attorney of the bride's father as saying "Their tastes in picking nice things left no stone unturned." You think? Sixty-five thousand dollars?! Jeez! My bride and I spent about $6,000, including a week-long Hawaiian honeymoon. I thought maybe you could blame it on youthful indiscretion, but this couple are both in their late 30s. I blame it on a dad who couldn't say no to his baby girl, and now wants someone else to pay for his weak backbone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google