Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Feeling Old

In just 45 days, I will join those who have lived on this earth for four decades. Up until a few days ago, I hadn't given it much thought, but children have a way of reminding you of your own mortality.

My youngest daughter has a blanket that has been her almost-constant companion over her four-plus years. One certain corner of "Blankie," as she calls it, can frequently be found in her mouth, or the blanket can be seen dusting the floors as it trails behind her. The Little Tyke and Blankie even have conversations with each other and (occasionally) with others, especially big sister or the Big Kid's favorite stuffed toy, Lambie.

Somewhere along the line, someone suggested that Little Tyke is the mama to Blankie and Big Kid is the matronly figure to Lambie. So, it's only logical that if Blankie and Lambie are the kids, then my wife and I (as the parents to their mamas) are the grandparents.

And so, the other day, Blankie approached me and (channeled by Little Tyke) said, "Hi Grandpa."

God, I suddenly feel really old.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1/23/2007 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol. We used to have to watch my mom's dog ALL THE TIME... and if he was her baby, then that made him... my brother.
    And my friends refered to it that way every chance they got.

    Hope you have something fun planned for march!!
    aron

     
  • At 1/24/2007 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Come on in Ken the water is fine!

    You know they say that 40 is the new 30 or is that 50 is the new 30 now? I get confused. That is probably because I'm pushing 41!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google