Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Monday, March 20, 2006

I wish someone had told me this

From Jonah Goldberg in today's G-File:
If you’re in college and want to be a journalist, do not study journalism or even English. The former is a waste of money, the latter a waste of time — if you want to be a journalist. Learn a language, get some expertise about something other people don’t know about. Even if you want to be the conservative Walter Lippmann, studying how to write instead of learning interesting stuff to write about is a waste of time. If you must, you can always go to one of the clubhouse j-schools after college. Knowing stuff is the best way to get opinions about stuff. More importantly, it makes your opinions more interesting.
I wish someone had suggested this before I spent thousands of my (parent's) dollars on a journalism degree. Of course, I'm not sure that the 18-year-old version of me would have listened anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google