Upper Left Coast

Thoughts on politics, faith, sports and other random topics from a red state sympathizer in indigo-blue Portland, Oregon.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Doublespeak for "double standard"

The Metro section of the Oregonian also had an interview with Portland Mayor Tom Potter, recapping his first year in office. Among the questions asked in the Q&A format was this:
Every time we write about potential reforms to the fire and police pension and disability system, we get phone calls from readers who say you and [City Commissioner and former fire department lieutentant] Randy Leonard should recuse yourselves since you are both beneficiaries of the system. What do you say to people who suggest you have a conflict of interest?
Keep in mind that Potter is the city's former chief of police, and thus draws a pension funded by the city's taxpayers. Here's his answer:
You should tell those folks that I think I can be responsible to the citizens and make a decision that is in the best interest of our community and to the police officers and firefighters. Obviously, if the public thinks I don't make the right decision, they can vote me out.
In other words: I, Tom Potter, stick my tongue out at you cretins who would dare question my integrity. If you don't like it, vote against me in 2008. I'll still win! Ha ha!

If such an answer were given by, say, Karen Minnis in relation to a vote in the Oregon legislature, the folks at Blue Oregon (not to mention the state's Democrats) would be calling for her head. (Oh wait, they're already doing that.)

What a bunch of double-standard nonsense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|
 
Google